Import and Export Code
The Import and Export Code is a code issued by the DGFT (Director General of Foreign Trade) which is a mandatory document required for importing or exporting goods outside the country. IEC is a 10-digit code that has lifetime validity. Predominantly, importers and merchants cannot import goods without the Import Export Code and similarly, the exporter merchant cannot avail of benefits from DGFT for the export scheme, etc. without IEC.
Book a free consultation
The Importer -Exporter Code (IEC) is an identification number which is mandatory for all who are doing imports or exports activity. No person can make any import or export without IEC Number granted by the DGFT. IEC is not mandatory for service provide but if the service provider wants to take benefits under the Foreign Trade Policy or is dealing with specified services.
The nature of the firm obtaining an IEC may be any of the follows- "Proprietorship, Partnership, HUF, Limited Company, LLP, Trust, and Society." After introduction of GST, IEC number will be same as the PAN of the entity but the IEC would be separately issued by DGFT.
- The IEC registration helps business to expand their business in the global market. IEC registration is must for import and export of any goods or services.
- Businesses can avail the benefits of government schemes like merchandise export from India scheme (MEIS) and service export from India scheme (SEIS).
List of Documents Required
- PAN Card of the Business entity
- PAN and Adhaar Card copy of Proprietor/Partners/Directors
- Business registration certificate
- Business address proof (Electricity bill with NOC and rent agreement, if rented)
- Copy of cancelled cheque
- Logon to DGFT website via link https://dgft.gov.in/.
- Proceed with registration process by clicking on Login > Register > Register as Importer/Exporter
- After registration, Go to My Dashboard > Importer Exporter Code (IEC) > Apply for IEC.
- User will be issued the IEC Immediately. And the Risk shall be marked in RMS.
- On Successful Validation- RMS Flag shall be removed.
- On Failure - RMS Flag will retain for RA to verify the supporting document uploaded by the user.
- Proof of establishment/incorporation/registration.
- Registered Society
- Trust iv. HUF
- Proof of Address can be any one of the following documents:
- Sale Deed, Rent agreement, lease deed, electricity bill, telephone land line bill, mobile, postpaid bill, MoU, Partnership deed
- Other acceptable documents (for proprietorship only):Aadhar card, passport, voter id
- In case the address proof is not in the name of the applicant firm, a no objection certificate (NOC) by the firm premises owner in favor of the firm along with the address proof is to be submitted as a single PDF document.
- Proof of Firm's Bank Account
- Cancelled Cheque
- Bank certificate